Thursday, September 4, 2008

Letter to My Cousin

Dear Cousin,

I have recently been informed that you are looking into my major at Utah State University, but unfamiliar with it. As a senior in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations and Broadcasting I have found that many people have questions about what Public Relations is and what you can do with a Public Relations degree.

Public Relations is managing information between the public and an organization. It is very broad, which is nice in deciding which company you would like to work for. Non-profit and profit organizations are both in need of people in this field in order to keep their employees and the public happy.

An important thing to know while deciding this major is you must be willing to write, write, write. Public Relations consist of writing, sending out press releases, giving presentations, and interacting with the public.

At my internship this summer for KSL the assignment desk would receive hundreds of press releases daily from the company’s Public Relations personal. If those press releases were top priority to the public the news would cover them that day. The Public Relations coordinator of the company is responsible for informing the press and dealing with any questions or concerns they might have.

In order to be a good Public Relation’s Director it is necessary to manage the information from a company by distributing it accurately and legitimately to the public.

Well I hope this cleared up any questions or concerns you might have regarding the profession of Public Relations.


Yours truly,

Jessica M. Walker

4 Comments:

At September 5, 2008 at 12:27 AM , Blogger Jo Olsen said...

Jessica,

I liked the fact that you used your own experience to help define what public relations means. I think that adds validity to your definition. It was good.

Jo Olsen

 
At September 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM , Blogger mckell said...

I also liked that you used your own experiences. The letter was great. I think that you could have improved your letter by not always capitalizing public relations. I could be wrong but I don't think it needs to be. Great paper.

 
At September 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Jay said...

I like how you used your internship to explain what PR is. You made it easy for someone unfamiliar with PR to understand what PR is. Good job.

 
At September 5, 2008 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Max K. Young said...

great letter, explained PR with no problem, good job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home